Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Gratitude Day 67: The Tongue of Angels



Today was long and tiring. I was impatient with my children, but tonight my heart changed as I went to visit two friends who needed cheering up.

I could've easily chosen not to go, but they needed me and I need them. The visit, although brief, gave me an opportunity to share my testimony of overcoming trials through Christ. The words I spoke were not prepared or rehearsed, they just came to me. I felt calm and at peace. I was able to return home better than I left.

When I walked through the door, I called my children together for family scripture reading. Listening to them read the words of God always brings peace into our home.

As they were getting ready for bed, I remembered I hadn't posted my gratitude for the day. Earlier in the morning, I'd posted a picture of my favorite books for the Gratitude Photo Challenge and I recalled looking at the pile of books on my bed; feeling grateful for the words of upliftment in each one. There was one book in particular, calling out to me as if to read it again.

As I picked it up, my mind was immediately brought me back to a time when my children were little and I'd been struggling with my temper. Not in an abusive way by any means, but I admit, I yelled a lot. I remember seeking for a way to overcome my temper and finding the solution in the very book I was holding, called,"The Soft Spoken Parent," by H. Wallace Goddard, PH.D. The book had been one of the texts from a college course I needed to take for my emphasis. I remember it had been a blessing; an answer to many parenting struggles. The book was so inspiring that I found myself inviting other moms to read it.

In fact, I was so passionate about the book that I ended up starting a play group called, "The Soft-Spoken Moms Club." At first it was a small group of young moms, then the group grew. We met once a week in the day for a play group and then one evening a week to discuss the book. It was a break for us; a time of comradiere. We drew strength not only from the book, but each other's experiences. I was grateful to not feel alone while striving to overcome my temper.

This book completely changed the way I mothered my young children and even interacted with my husband. I highly recommend it to any parent in need of overcoming anger. There are over 50 strategies for turning away anger and connecting with your children in more positive ways.

While writing this post it occurred to me, I needed to reread the book. My temper was slowly creeping back in and it was time for a refresher course in anger management. I decided in order to keep myself motivated, I was going to have to journal my reflection and insights from each chapter here on my blog.



Tender Mercy

Before I even wrote this post, I read the following scripture in my journal...

"Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels."-- 2 Nephi 32:2

Tonight, I applied this scripture as I visited my friends and as returned home to sing lullabies to my children before tucking them in bed. I know I can apply it even more every day; when I choose to...
  • Be soft spoken with my children and others by just saying "no" to anger; following the Proverb, "A soft answer turneth way wrath." (15:1)
  • Show compassion for my children and others. Genuine abiding love for their concerns, fears, and worries. Listening to them with my whole heart.
  • Use my words to uplift, encourage, comfort, and support them. Being conscious of what I say and how I say it. Never putting down, labeling, or criticizing. Only Building up!
  • Become aware of the power in my words and the tone of my voice. Recognizing that how I speak to my children and others shapes their day and lives.
  • Be true to my words and keep my promises to them.
  • Speak well of them and others. No gossiping or judging.
The only time I should ever raise my voice to my children or anyone is when they are in danger, disobedient, or in need of correction. Even then, I need to remember after being firm in my tone, to let them know they are loved. Many of the most precious and endearing moments as a parent have been when I've shown forth an increase in love after reproving them.(See D& C 121:43)

It's not always easy. Of course challenges, especially impatience comes my way, but I know that if I am prayerful each day and in tune to the Spirit, it shall be given to me in the very hour what I should say. (See Matthew 10:19) I know I won't be perfect and that's okay, as long as I put my focus on Christ, listen to the gentle promptings of the Holy Ghost, and try my best.