Three months after we were married my husband joined the army. He left for boot camp at Fort Sill, Oklahoma, before our first Valentine's day. It was a difficult time for us, mainly because we were expecting our first child. While he was away, I worked full time as a Shopko Cashier and attended school at BYU. I was grateful to have a busy schedule, but struggled emotionally with him gone.
Luckily my sister moved in with me and cheered me up. With her help, the support of parents, and mighty prayers I was blessed and strengthened beyond measure. In those 2 1/2 months of Dave and I being apart, I found courage and faith deep within that I never knew I had. I also learned a great deal about counting my blessings, self-reliance and patience.
On April 22nd 1999, thanks to my in-laws, I was briefly reunited with my sweetheart for his graduation, before he had to leave for Spanish interrogation training at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. It was an emotional two days. Once I hugged onto him, I didn't want to let go. I took in every second I could with my man. It was a blessing to be able to watch him graduate at the top of his class, as the 'Distinguished Honor Graduate,' see a soldier in action, find out the gender of our baby, and thanks to his Sargent, we were able to spend a night together off base. Best night of my life!
Luckily my sister moved in with me and cheered me up. With her help, the support of parents, and mighty prayers I was blessed and strengthened beyond measure. In those 2 1/2 months of Dave and I being apart, I found courage and faith deep within that I never knew I had. I also learned a great deal about counting my blessings, self-reliance and patience.
On April 22nd 1999, thanks to my in-laws, I was briefly reunited with my sweetheart for his graduation, before he had to leave for Spanish interrogation training at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. It was an emotional two days. Once I hugged onto him, I didn't want to let go. I took in every second I could with my man. It was a blessing to be able to watch him graduate at the top of his class, as the 'Distinguished Honor Graduate,' see a soldier in action, find out the gender of our baby, and thanks to his Sargent, we were able to spend a night together off base. Best night of my life!
Reunited
I didn't even recognize him. He'd lost so much weight.
David and one of his Sargents
Dave with his Commander and Sargent
Our OB put an ultrasound picture and the gender of our first born in an envelope.
We opened it together! It's a BOY!!
One of the best and most difficult times in our life, but we survived
and were blessed with a baby boy just two days before our 1 year
anniversary. My husband told me once, "The blessings are waiting just
around the corner." It's true, they always are.
Two years later he was honorably released from the guard, due to a breech of contract. His paperwork had been misplaced by his unit for an entire year, which forced him to put his schooling on hold. It was a means to and end for us and we both felt the army was no longer the path God wanted us to take.
In fact, Dave was released just 5 months before 9/11 happened.
His unit was called up to Afghanistan. We both feel that his lost paperwork was perhaps a blessing in disguise.
Two years later he was honorably released from the guard, due to a breech of contract. His paperwork had been misplaced by his unit for an entire year, which forced him to put his schooling on hold. It was a means to and end for us and we both felt the army was no longer the path God wanted us to take.
In fact, Dave was released just 5 months before 9/11 happened.
His unit was called up to Afghanistan. We both feel that his lost paperwork was perhaps a blessing in disguise.





