A few years ago, my husband was searching for an answer to a challenge he was faced with. He was reading his scriptures one day and noticed a particular verse sticking out of the passage, it was clearly the answer he'd been seeking. He highlighted it and called it his "Birthday Scripture." I was curious as to why he had called it that. He said, "The chapter and verse is my birth month and day.
I was intrigued, so I went on a quest to search for my own birthday scripture. I was humbled when I found...
Mosiah 4:27--
"And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order."
I knew the moment I read it that Heavenly Father had wanted me to not only remember it, but live it. It spoke so powerfully to me, that I felt as if I had carried it with me beyond the veil. I don't know, but maybe God whispered it to me as I left his side to be born on this earth.
I do know that this scripture has been an answer to many prayers in my life. It's become like a best friend, consistently guiding me to overcome my weakness of running faster than I have the strength. It's a tender mercy every time I recall it in times of struggle. A heavenly reminder to slow down and act with diligence.
Today in sacrament meeting one of Bishopric members spoke about overcoming temptations such as anger and negative thoughts. He shared many scriptures that had strengthened him during times of temptations. The moment he said this one...
2 Nephi 4:27--
"And why should I yield to sin, because of my flesh? Yea, why should I give way to temptations, that the evil one have place in my heart to destroy my peace and afflict my soul? Why am I angry because of mine enemy? "
...I knew it was another birthday scripture for me. In fact, this past week I'd been desiring God's help in overcoming my own temptation of anger. I knew it was no coincidence that the Bishopric member had shared this scripture at this time. It was a tender mercy; an answer to my prayers.
