Thursday, October 24, 2013

Gratitude Day 54: Sunshine





It's a beautiful October Day!

The fall weather in the North West is usually rainy and cold and I find myself feeling blue; craving the sun. I love its light and warmth; when it shines through my windows, it's amazing how quickly my mood changes. What can I say, I grew up in Vegas and love warmth.

This morning I woke up to no sun. My house felt cold and dark. After sending my children off to school, I decide to venture out and run some errands. As I was driving, my eyes were opened to the beauty all around me. The blazing colors of the maple trees and fall flowers were breathtaking.

Then suddenly a flock of 50 or more birds flew in a synchronized formation from one side of the street to the other and back. Never before had I beheld such a display from nature, directly right in front of me. I was awe struck; smiling in gratitude towards the heavens. Surely, it was a gift from a loving Father who knew it would be appreciated this day.

I happily arrived at my destination and enjoyed some alone time shopping. Afterwards, when I walked outside of the store, the sun was shining brightly. I thought, "Even if the sun were hiding today, I could still be happy, because there is beauty shining everywhere."

Sunshine Moments...
  • My little boy who snuggled on my lap while I sang to him. He is a ray of sunshine in my life. I believe God knew I needed him to instill within me joy and optimism during the dark times. He emanates light whenever he smiles.
  • The colorful maple and oak trees loosing their leaves in my neighborhood, remind me of the shedding of my old self. I am changing like those leaves. The past is falling behind me. I look forward with hope for the new self, just as the trees look forward to new leaves and growth in the Spring.
  •  The laughter and silliness of my children. I can always count on laughing everyday!
  • My husband's love notes on our dresser each day. Today he said, "I love you because, you snuggled with me."
  • Hugs from my 14 year old son. He hugs me 10 + times a day. It use to bother me, but now I know why he does it. I was pretty close to death a few years back, when I lost a baby due to an ectopic pregnancy. Then again this last year, I lost another baby and it was really hard on him. I got really sick and one night, he and his siblings had to watch in fear as their dad carried my weak body to the car, to be driven to the Emergency Room. I hope I never give my children a scare like that again. Ever since that day, my son hugs me and shows genuine concern for my well being.
  • My 9 year old daughter loves to sing while practicing the piano. I love to hear her play and sing. She has a beautiful voices!
  • My 12 year old daughter jabbering on about her day. I love to listen to the excitement in her voice. I especially love her funny impersonations and silly facial expressions.