Friday, October 18, 2013

Gratitude Day 48: Serving



A few months ago, I was asked to accept the invitation to serve in a position of leadership in the Young Women's organization in my church. Having just served for 7 years as a leader in the Children's organization, I felt overwhelmed and inadequate to teach the youth. It had been 14 years since I had taught the youth and even then it was only a 6 month position. I was just newly married, pregnant, and had no clue what to do. I don't even remember much of anything at that time. My husband was away at Boot Camp and I was a mess. However, I do remember feeling grateful to have something to do with my spare time while my husband was away.

Today, I am looking back over my many years of church service and I can clearly see how each position allowed me to...

  1. Freely give of my time and talents.
  2. Develop leadership skills. 
  3. Learn to work with other and build friendships.
  4. Stretch myself beyond my comfort zone.
  5. See everyone I've served with through Christ's eyes.
  6. Develop christ-like qualities.
I also know from my experiences with serving in various positions in my church that the Lord qualifies whomever he calls to serve. I've felt His guiding hands strengthening and magnifying my efforts as a teacher, counselor, chorister, and secretary in the Relief Society (women's organization); as a secretary, counselor, and president in the Primary (children's organization); and just recently as a Stake Primary Secretary, Chorister, and Activity Day Leader. My talents have been multiplied far beyond what I ever thought was possible. I am amazed at how each position I have served in has prepared me for the next.

Way before my Bishop even asked me to serve in the Young Women's organization, I felt the Lord was preparing me.

{July 2nd 2013}

I had lost connection with the divine within me and had been struggling to understand my purpose in life. I was seeking for a firm knowledge of my worth, so I began studying the scriptures and praying. While pondering, I had a strong desire to review my life and rediscover all of the good things about myself. I started by sifting through my hope chest and several boxes of childhood memories in the basement. I found journals, cards, pictures, and letters from when I was a child and teenager. For days, I reminisced; trying to find out who I was and where I need to go.

As I read notes from friends, parents, church teachers, and Young Women leaders, my soul was lifted higher; I began finding my divine worth amongst these buried treasures. I felt I should write some of the good things that was said about me by others, in another journal for safe keeping. I don't want to loose such precious memories. As I wrote, I savored every word.
I began thinking about my children and wondered what they thought of themselves? Do they feel and know of their own divine worth? Was I being a source of optimism in their lives or negativity? How could I contribute to their positive self-image. I longed to be someone they could look to for encouragement.
Suddenly, out of no where I felt a strong impression to pray for the young women in my church congregation (Ward), so I did. If there is one thing I have learned these past few years, it's to act on an impression. While praying I felt a great outpouring of love for them. I thought it strange, because I don't particularly know any of them, yet deep in my heart, I knew I would be called to teach them.

Sure enough, a month in half later, I was called to serve as the 2nd Counselor in the Young Women's Presidency in my ward. In this position I oversee the Sunday gospel instruction and weekly activities of the young women ages 12 to 13. This was a testament to me that the Lord is fully in charge and knows the needs of His children. 

I love my church, because I get the most precious opportunities to serve the Lord and His children everyday. I pledge my life in service to Him without price. I can't think of anything better to do with the time and talents the Lord has blessed me with.