Saturday, September 21, 2013

Day 21 Gratitude: A quiet Heart



I am actively striving to ingrain within my heart these words...

"In the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see."-- Susan Evans McCloud.

Holding on to silent burdens is brave, difficult, sometimes lonely, and there are understandable reasons and purposes for it, but know that you cannot hold out for long. At some point you have to lay it down and let someone into your quiet heart. It's quite the leap of faith, but it's incredibly freeing.

Today, I am grateful for what I have learned from my own quiet heart experiences...
  • When the chips are down, I sometimes put on a fake face. I just want to feel normal, and if it means I have to fake it to make it, then I will. A smile can lift the Spirits, create a sense of optimism, and inspire service. Serving others helps me focus on my strengths instead of my weaknesses. Serving others instills happiness and an appreciation for the trials I have.
  • Sometimes, if I am having a particularly difficult day, I let go of the fake mask and choose to be real. I want to know that it's okay to just feel my emotions and be myself; to say or do whatever I need to in order to make sense of my struggle; in other words, to process it. There is nothing wrong with that. I am striving to teach my children this concept. Too many children these days turn to bad habits and addictions in order to cope with their feeling of inadequacy. It's better to talk things out with a trusted person. Emotions don't make you weak, emotions make you honest and real.
  • Trusting someone is hard. Trusting yourself is harder. Trusting God is the hardest. It doesn't have to be that way. Trust God first and he will help you trust yourself and others.
  • Some people find it extremely uncomfortable to be around those who are living in a different season of life then they are. Walking on eggs shells around them or avoiding them only hurts you. Interestingly enough, chances are you've probably gone through something similar and they could benefit from your listening ear, wisdom, and love. 
  • The deepest of friendships grow from heart and soul conversations. If you are one that I have shared my heart and soul with, I want to thank you for listening and sharing your wisdom and love with me.
    My favorite Hymn is "Lord, I Would Follow Thee."

    Savior, may I learn to love thee,
    Walk the path that thou hast shown,
    Pause to help and lift another,
    Finding strength beyond my own.
    Savior, may I learn to love thee—

    [Chorus]
    Lord, I would follow thee.

    Who am I to judge another
    When I walk imperfectly?
    In the quiet heart is hidden
    Sorrow that the eye can't see.
    Who am I to judge another?

    I would be my brother's keeper;
    I would learn the healer's art.
    To the wounded and the weary
    I would show a gentle heart.
    I would be my brother's keeper—

    Savior, may I love my brother
    As I know thou lovest me,
    Find in thee my strength, my beacon,
    For thy servant I would be.
    Savior, may I love my brother—