Saturday, December 28, 2013

Miracle of the Fast

We started our family fast at 8pm last night. I have hypoglycemia and didn't think I could fast, but really wanted to participate. I have not fasted for years, so I told myself, "I will go as long as I can."

This morning after reading my scriptures, I prayed and asked God to give me the strength to fast, as well as strengthen my children. William who is 7, made it until 12:20pm. He came in to me and said, "Mom, I am so hungry!" I explained to him what the fast was for and applauded him for his efforts. I asked him to close his fast with a prayer and then gave him something to eat.

The rest of us are holding strong. Just a little less than 30 minutes left. I am excited to have a discussion about our experiences with this special fast.

Right now, I feel so much peace and happiness. I know the Lord loves me, is sustaining me. He truly answers our prayers.


While fasting, I passed the time by studying my scriptures. I shared some scriptures on Facebook as part of my missionary goal. A friend responded and I was able to share my testimony of the gospel with her and hopefully give her some things to ponder about.

Then after the fast, I started to doubt myself. I couldn't sleep. I allowed negative thoughts to enter my mind. I kept thinking about what I shared with my friend.

The morning came all to quickly. Before getting out of bed. I had an impression to open my scriptures. I flipped them open to a bookmarked page in 2 Nephi.

The following scriptures were the words I needed at that moment...

"For the Lord God will help me, therefore shall I not be confounded. Therefore have I set my face like a flint, and I know that I shall not be ashamed.

"And the Lord is near, and he justifieth me. Who will contend with me? Let us stand together. Who is mine adversary? Let him come near me, and I will smite him with the strength of my mouth."

(2 Nephi 7:7-8 & Isaiah 50:7-8)


All through the night, I thought I had failed in my efforts to speak the truth and the Lord sent me a gift, a reminder that he is ever present and will not allow me to fail. It is His work. Not mine! He will help me always, when I put my trust and faith in Him.