On our trip, my daughters and I listened to the CD that my friend sent me a month ago. They called it sleepy music, because the songs were so peaceful. I am glad I brought it, because the car we drove in tends to cause motion sickness, so the music really did helped them fall asleep.
At the end of the CD is part of an audio book, "The Incredible Gifts of Women: 12 Gifts That Will Change Your Life Now," by Barbara Barrington Jones. She shares a story of a young Nun's ten day silent retreat and how this nun was able to let go of all of her troubles and hone in on God's love for her through the simple beauty in the world around her.
Here I was driving across flat farm land and sage brush. Things were looking quite boring to me and the music, although peaceful and uplifting was making me feel a bit sleepy. However, as soon as the story came on, I became very alert. I no longer saw ugliness in my surrounding, but beheld the beauty deep within, such as the blue and yellow flowers amongst the sage brush, the different shapes and pictures the clouds made, and the various birds flying around. Even the farmland began to change color as I saw different crops prime for harvesting. I felt so much love for the beauty of the world and wanted to share it with my daughters.
I decided to play the CD for them. This time instead of falling asleep they listened. After the story was shared we looked outside the car windows at the scenery around us and we talked about all of the beautiful things we saw and how much of God's love is in the simple beauty around us. It was an unforgettable moment.
I loved the story so much that I want to buy the book.
Buy from Amazon

