Friday, October 11, 2013

Gratitude Day 41: Small and Simple Things



Today, I had the privilege of taking a road trip with my daughters. As we were driving to our getaway destination, I savored every moment with them. We laughed, cloud watched, took in the beautiful scenery around us, sang songs, and talked about their lives. It was a treasured moment for us, one I don't get very often, but crave.

I could have just tuned out my girls and sat their thinking and stewing over problems in my life, but I decided to focus on the moment and take time to teach them, while I had them trapped in a car.

My children need time and my attention, more than anything worldly, that I can give them. They know I truly love them when I make such a selfless sacrifice. It doesn't have to be elaborate like a weekend getaway. It can be something as simple as talking to them about their day, while driving to and from soccer practice or piano lessons.

I believe there is great power in this scripture... 
"By small and simple things, great things are brought to pass."--Alma 37:6

It's my new mantra! 

Small and simple ways I plan to connect with my spouse and children each day...
  • Pause for a hug
  • Quick check-in (Text or phone call)
  • Touch base every evening
  • Weekly dates
  • Prayers and scripture study 
Small and Simple ways I plan to connect with myself each day...
  • Keep my passion for writing alive. (Learn how to write better!)
  • Develop other musical talents: Piano and guitar
  • Exercise for 30 minutes
  • Organize a room for just 10 minutes a day.
Small and Simple ways I plan to serve others...
  • Patience while driving
  • One small act of kindness
  • Words of encouragement
Small and Simple ways to connect with God each day...
  • Prayers
  • 40 Day General Conference Challenge. (Read and study one talk a day) 
  • Study the attributes of Christ
  • Write in my gratitude journal
  • Listen to uplifting music
  • Fulfill my church responsibilities 
I love this video...