Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Gratitude Day 18: Inspiring Women




I am grateful for this amazing woman who has inspired me to live a life marked by love and service. In her book, "Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley," she says

"I don't want to drive up to the pearly gates in a shiny sports car, wearing beautifully, tailored clothes, my hair expertly coiffed, and with long, perfectly manicured fingernails. I want to drive up in a station wagon that has mud on the wheels from taking kids to scout camp. I want to be there with a smudge of peanut butter on my shirt from making sandwiches for a sick neighbors children. I want to be there with a little dirt under my fingernails from helping to weed someone's garden. I want to be there with children's sticky kisses on my cheeks and the tears of a friend on my shoulder. I want the Lord to know I was really here and that I really lived." 
 

Ardeth G. Kapp's book, "Better Than You Think You Are," has literally changed my life. I began reading it a year ago and now I find myself not only reading it again, but studying it. 
I've found within the pages of this book a treasure of quotes that have buoyed me up amidst challenging times, strengthened my role as a wife and mother, and increased my knowledge of who I am and what my purpose is in this life.

This book is has also given me the courage to stand up for all that is good and virtuous in the world. It's a difficult choice to make, but needful these days when so many gray lines are drawn in our society. People are calling good evil and evil good. I feel blessed to be taught by inspiring women who have fought on the front lines in order to protect our families from moral degradation.

Yesterday as I was thinking about how great a challenge it is to fight against indecency and immorality, I found strength in the following excerpt from Ardeth Kapp...

"There is great power that emanates from Good women who, in the midst of the pressures of the day, arise above their challenges in a mighty force for righteousness."

Her words are so empowering! It took me back to last Summer, to the fight against pornography in my local library and how much courage and faith it took to share my voice, which seemed so small at the time, yet ended up having a huge impact. It's amazing the power one voice has to generate a rippling effect of other voices. This experience taught me I that am pouring of support towards change truly happens when we speak out in unity.
 
Also in Ardeth's book, she mentioned a time when she went to Washington, D.C. to take part in a national leadership task force. There was a great diversity of women in attendance at this meeting, yet they were all united in the same cause to fight for the protection of the family and society. One of the women at the conference arose from her seat and proclaimed, "One woman is helpful; ten women are influential; one hundred are powerful; one thousand are invincible."

I wish the author was known, so I could give her credit for inspiring me. It was her words that penned this phrase to paper yesterday...

I know that the power to make changes to our world emanates from a sea of righteous voices. One voice is supportive, ten voices persuasive; one hundred voices are powerful; one thousand are invincible.
I love how one voice can start a rippling effect for others. Her words will continue on and forever have an impact on the hearts of many.

Her words, I hope will ignite the courage deep within us all, to share the voice we have...big or small. Our voices make a difference. Our voices change the world.