It's obvious...I am skinny!
I am NOT anorexic or Bulimic and NO, I DO NOT purposely starve myself to stay skinny. Call it genetics, luck, or whatever you want. I have heard it all; even right down to the skinny jokes and backbiting. YES...the skinny ones get teased, too!
The fact is, I use to love food. I could eat anything and not have to worry about stepping on a scale at the end of the day. Okay...genetics definitely intervened here.
Then in 2008, my world turned upside down. I began having episodes of intense stabbing and burning pains in my chest. I thought I was having a heart attack. The pain progressively worsened over time, so I sought treatment. I had tests done for my heart, gallbladder, and thyroid. A slight murmur was found, but nothing to unveil the reason for my pain. I was becoming discouraged. Medical bills were piling up, but I was determined to get answers. The doctor took the next logical step to explore the stomach.
I had an endoscope in 2010, which revealed a small hernia, mild Reflux Esophagitis, and a diagnoses of Barrett's Esophagus; a pre-cancerous condition. I was immediately put on acid reducers and proton pump inhibitors, but no improvement occurred. The pain worsened! It was like a thorn piercing my chest with each breath. Eating was no longer enjoyable. I guess you could say, I developed an aversion to food. Honestly, it was like I had an eating disorder. I hated eating and had to force myself to eat just to be able to function each day. I lost weight, that I couldn't afford to loose. I became sick and depressed.
Applesauce was my only best friend; still is.
I suffered for a whole year with treatment after treatment and procedure after procedure. The worst procedure of all was a swallowing study. Gag me...literally! The only good thing about it was that it gave the doctors a clear indication of the damage done, which made me a good candidate for esophagus surgery.
I was scared to have surgery, but knew it was the right path for me to take. The doctor said their were risks involved, but that it would help heal the damage from the Barrett's by keeping the acid contained.
Here's my experience, taken from another blog...
Although the recovery was painful and long; if I had to choose again, I would choose surgery. It wasn't a cure all and yes... I still have occasional chest pain and an obnoxious belching problem, but a miracle did happen. An endoscope, months after the surgery showed no sign of Barrett's. A victory over cancer? YES! The end of my trouble? NO!As I stepped into the hospital I was fully confident that everything was going to be okay and the surgery was going to be the healing that I so desperately sought these past few years. The doctor was confident it would all go well. His confidence allowed me to put my trust in him. Through a Priesthood blessing that my husband gave me just before the surgery, I was told, "The doctor would be an instrument in the Lord's hands to fix what had been damaged inside of me." Those words, along with faith and trust carried me through as they prepared me for surgery.
When the surgery was complete the doctor said, "It went perfect." Despite the pain and a few complications after surgery, I found peace in his words. Yet, as the days wore on, I saw no immediate improvement and the pain was getting worse. I began to doubt the surgery worked. These doubts made it hard for me to see any end to my suffering. It was a daily battle. I was trying desperately to cling onto hope all while struggling to fight against the voice in my head forging doubts. I knew it would take time to heal and recover, but how long? I grew impatient with the slow progress. It was a real test to wait for the healing.
The scope did reveal something, which may have been the cause of everything to begin with...
EOE, an inflammatory disease of the Esophagus, caused by a food allergy.
For the past two years, I have tried relentlessly to investigate what foods are causing my esophagus to become inflamed. It's been a nightmare and I'm still patiently working on the process. I know for certain that I am allergic to gluten and possibly corn, which pretty much leaves me with a drastic change in the way I eat. It's been difficult not being able to eat all of my favorites, but I am finding new favorites and learning how to modify old favorites.
A tender mercy this week...
My husband introduced me to The Paleo Diet.
It's pretty much what I have already been eating, but better.
I believe it's a new beginning. A chance to become healthier and reduce the episodes of inflammation, if not eliminate them forever. I am HOPEFUL!
