Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Gratitude Day 45: Light


A mother's prayer...

"And I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of my children; therefore touch my spirit, touch my life, O Lord, with thy finger and prepare me that I may shine forth in the darkness of my children's lives that they shall have light while we shall cross the sea of this life together (adapted from Ether 3:4)." --Debra Sansing Woods

Since I was a child, I've been afraid of the dark. I really believed their were monsters hiding in the darkness under my bed, which gave me a horrible mind numbing, terrifying fright. In fact, when I was around 5 or 6 years of age, I thought, "If I run as fast as I can and jump into my bed, the monsters won't get me." A rocking horse night light by my bed was my only rescue. It gave me a feeling of peace and safety. Somehow it magically conquered the darkness and lurking monsters, so I could get a good night’s sleep.

Now that I am grown up and married I am still frightened by the darkness and need a light on in order to sleep. My husband is the exact opposite; he cannot sleep with a light on. I usually wait for him to fall asleep first and then turn the bathroom light on so I can get to sleep. Sounds childish I guess, but the way I see it now is the light provides a source of comfort to me; bringing about peace and feelings of safety.

Just as I crave temporal light in order to feel comfort, peace, and safety; I crave spiritual light for those same reasons. I look at my children and the ever growing darkness in the world around them and I can't help, but desire a lighted path of rescue for them. Many times I've pleaded with the Lord for such a path to be made known to them.

It wasn't until today, I understood more fully that the path of light exists through me. By sharing my personal experiences of overcoming the darkness with the light of faith, my children are learning to recognize the one true source of light; Jesus Christ. 

As they begin to keep His light shining brightly within them, they too will look to that light as a source of comfort, peace, and safety during the dark times in their lives. 

It's is my prayer that they will crave the light and want to share it with others.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify their Father which is in Heaven" (Matthew 5:16). 

Tonight I am letting my light shine in memory of the babies I have lost.

October 15 is International Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Day! 
Are you going to light a candle for a special baby tonight as part of the Wave of Light? 
Did you know that if everyone lights a candle at 7pm (in their own time zone) across the world and keeps it for at least one hour, there will be a CONTINUOUS WAVE OF LIGHT, across the entire world? 
 
I am sharing my favorite songs about motherhood, with all the mothers out there. Whether you've given birth to a child or not; if you've been a light to a child out there then this is for you.


What's Mine Is Yours by Katherine Nelson

 Counting down days since nine months last summer
From the baby quilts to the sunshine light-switch cover
All the plans she made
Wall-papered dreams she made for him someday

Doctor hardly glanced her way shut off the monitor
As he walked out the door said “You’re young, there’ll be others”
No sirens or loud screams
No rushing or comforting
It was just over

On the longest road toward home
She parked in the church lot and cried
And said

What’s mine is yours
It’s always been
What slips through my hands has your fingerprints on it
I’m letting go
Remembering
Though Heaven’s doors feel shut they’re wide open
What’s mine is yours

Teenage girl clinging to the gates of mercy
Holding the weight of the world and her newborn baby
Trying her best to be brave
Wrapped in hope giving him away to a longing family

When her courage met their eyes she saw
Somehow her baby was born to be in their arms
And cried

(Chorus)

In this life we come and go and say goodbye
But there’s more than we can see with our own eyes
And when my faith’s a thread-bare blanket and I can’t take it anymore
I remember

What’s mine is yours

I’m letting go
Remembering
Though heaven’s doors feel shut they’re wide open
What’s mine is yours
 
(Click in the song title below!)
Keep You Safe by JJ Heller

Quiet your heart
It's just a dream
Go back to sleep

I'll be right here
I'll stay awake as long as you need me
To slay all the dragons
And keep out the monsters
I'm watching over you

My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe

You'll have your own battles to fight
When you are older
You'll find yourself frozen inside
But always remember

If you feel alone
Facing the giants
And you don't know
What to do

My love is a light
Driving away all of your fear
So don't be afraid
Remember I made a promise to keep you safe