Monday, September 16, 2013

Gratitude Day 16: Love Your Neighbors




We had a huge wind/thunderstorm last night and I was worried that our yard was going to be a disaster this morning. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well.

Amidst mighty yawns, my two youngest headed out the door to the bus at 8:30am. I decided to venture out with them and survey the damage. I walked out onto our front porch and looked around our yard.

There was no damage!

A huge blessing! I thought for certain something had broken since I'd heard loud banging noises outside last night.

As we walked down the road. My heart sank as I glanced at one of our neighbors homes. An entire tree was uprooted and laid across their front lawn. Out of the house came two children with mouths wide open and looking distraught at the tree. They were lucky it didn't break their living room window.

I was grateful at that moment that nobody was hurt, but felt bad for our neighbors, who now had this giant tree in their yard and probably no money or tools to have it removed.

They moved in earlier this year as renters. Everyone was a little nervous, because we didn't know what kind of neighbors we were getting. The first week after they moved in their children came bounding with excitement over to play at our house. I was apprehensive at first, because I had not met their parents yet and their little girls both smelled like urine and were covered in dirt from head to toe. They possibly hadn't bathed in days or weeks. My initial reaction was too think badly of them and send them back home, but I couldn't. My heart couldn't be so cruel as to deny them the opportunity to feel welcomed and loved.

It didn't matter to me what they looked like or smelled like. What mattered was seeing their bright cheerful faces in my home. Hearing their laughter as they played with my children and knowing that they had a safe place to go to if they needed it.  I saw them through the Savior's eyes and soaked in the joyfulness they brought each time they came. I met their parents and told them their children were welcome to come play. They seemed nice and grateful.

As the Summer began, I expected they would be over a lot more, but they didn't come at all. I knew their parents worked and assumed their kids must be at daycare. I usually jog by their house some mornings and started to feel a little agitated that they were not taking care of their yard. It's pretty much an eye sore to everyone on the block. Yes... I am guilty of thinking ill thoughts about their yard. Weeds, dead grass, garbage. I am sure maybe you have a neighbors like this.

The yard used to be so beautiful! The previous owners had done an amazing job creating the landscape and I am sure they'd be disappointed to see all of their hard work had been neglected.

Today, as I walked by their home and saw the tree, weeds, dead grass, and litter. I wanted to complain, but instead the Lord opened my heart and mind with an out pouring of love for them instead.

I thought, "I have no right to judge them. I don't know of the quiet struggle they must be enduring, whether it be financially, physically, or emotionally...I don't know. Everyone is going through something and everyone needs a hand up."

I am not sure if anyone offered to help them removed their tree, so my husband offered his chainsaw. They smiled and nodded... no doubt grateful that someone noticed and reached out to help.

We do have an amazing neighborhood and I know we have good Samaritans all around us. Everyone watches out for each others kids and everyone is supportive and loving when they hear of struggles. I feel very safe here and I hope that this little family feels safe too. I hope they know that they are welcome in our home anytime. I will care for their little ones when they come and love them just as much as my own, because we are all God's children. No matter what our status in life, how we look and act or even what our yard or home looks like, we all deserve to feel loved and important.